If you’re looking to start an online business in Canada or grow an existing one, this blog post is for you. We’ll share our top 12 tips for making your business a success.
Running an online business can be a challenge, but with the right strategies in place, it can be extremely rewarding. These tips will help you get more traffic to your website, convert more visitors into customers, and grow your business.
#1. Always over deliver
To successfully run an online business in Canada, it is important to always over deliver. This means going above and beyond what is expected to exceed customer expectations. There are a few ways that you can do this, and here are some examples:
- Offer free shipping or a discount on the first order. This is an excellent way to show your customers that you appreciate their business and want to give them the best possible experience.
- Send out thank you cards or handwritten notes with each purchase. This small, personal touch will make your customers feel valued.
- Include a free gift with each purchase. This could be anything from a coupon for their next purchase to samples of your products.
#2. Figure out what you want and go after it.
You need to understand what you want your business to achieve clearly. What are your goals? What can you realistically achieve in the short and long term?
Once you know what you want, you need to develop a plan to make it happen.
Second, don’t bail on your plan until you see results. Building a successful business takes time and hard work, so don’t give up too soon. Stay focused and committed; eventually, you will see the fruits of your labor.
Above all, remember that running a successful online business is not just about making money. It is about providing a valuable service or product and making a difference in your customers’ lives.
#3. Stay organized and keep your business running smoothly.
It’s no secret that running a successful online business takes a lot of hard work, dedication, and organization. If you want to keep your business running smoothly, it’s important to stay organized and on top of everything. Here are a few tips to help you do just that:
First, create a schedule and stick to it. This will help you stay on track and avoid getting overwhelmed. Make sure to include time for tasks like marketing, product development, customer service, and anything else that needs to be done regularly.
Second, keep your workspace organized. Having a clean and organized workspace will help you stay focused and productive. So take some time to declutter your desk and eliminate anything unnecessary.
Finally, make sure to stay on top of your finances. This means tracking your income and expenses and keeping up with invoices and payments. Staying on top of your finances will help you avoid nasty surprises down the road.
#4. Research your industry before you jump into the fray.
Another one of the most important things to run a successful online business in Canada is to research your industry.
You should keep a few things in mind when doing this research.
First, make sure you understand the Canadian market. This includes understanding the demographics of the country and its various regions. You should also be aware of cultural differences that could affect your business.
Second, research your competition. See what they’re doing well and what areas they’re lacking in. This will help you create a unique selling proposition for your own business.
Third, ensure you have a solid understanding of the legal landscape in Canada. There are different rules and regulations governing online businesses, so it’s important to be up-to-date on these before you start.
Fourth, stay up-to-date on the latest industry news. This will help you identify trends and opportunities for your business.
Following these tips ensures you have a strong foundation for your online business in Canada.
#5. Network! Network! Network!
As they say, your network is your net worth. That is so true in the business world!
As an entrepreneur, it is crucial to network with other entrepreneurs to build relationships and learn from them.
And there are a few reasons why this is important:
First, by networking with other entrepreneurs, you can get advice and insights from people who have “been there and done that.”
They can help you avoid making the same mistakes they made and point you in the right direction when growing your online business in Canada.
Second, networking can help you connect with potential customers, partners, or suppliers. These relationships can be beneficial both professionally and personally.
Finally, you can stay up-to-date on industry trends and news by networking with other entrepreneurs This will help you make better decisions for your business and keep your finger on the pulse of what’s happening in your field.
Where do I start?
Well, there are a few ways to get started networking as an entrepreneur in Canada:
- Attend industry events and conferences
- Join online communities and forums related to your industry
- Connect with other entrepreneurs on social media
- Go to meetups or co-working spaces in your city
- Meet people through business associations or chambers of commerce in Canada.
#6. Make sure your website is user-friendly and easy to navigate.
With most of the web traffic coming from mobile devices, it is more important than ever to ensure your website is easy to navigate.
According to one study, 94% of users believe your website needs to be easy to navigate. 38% of visitors will stop engaging with your site immediately if it isn’t.
You can do a few things to ensure your website is user-friendly and easy to navigate.
First, keep your menu items clear and concise.
Second, use drop-down menus sparingly – they can be confusing for users.
Finally, use icons and visual cues to help users find their way around your site.
And while everyone is so focused on improving mobile usability, they’ve forgotten users with disability. 15% of the world’s population lives with some form of disability, so it’s important to make sure your website is accessible to them.
To get that, you need to follow the Web Content Accessibility Guidelines (WCAG). They’re a set of guidelines that help ensure your website is accessible to everyone, regardless of disability.
#7. Keep a positive attitude, even when things get tough.
No matter what business you are in, challenges will come up. It is about what you do when they do.
Keeping a positive attitude can help you get through tough times and come out the other side stronger. Here are some tips for keeping a positive attitude:
- Remember why you started your business in the first place. What are your goals and objectives? Keeping these in mind can help you stay focused on what is important, even when things get tough.
- Talk to other entrepreneurs who have been through tough times themselves. They can offer advice and support based on their own experiences.
- Stay connected to your network of family and friends. They can provide emotional support when things get tough.
- Take some time for yourself. Make sure you are taking care of your own physical and mental health. This will help you stay positive and focused on your business goals.
- Find a mentor or coach who can offer guidance and support. Sometimes it helps to have someone outside of your business to talk to about challenges and successes.
- Stay organized and plan ahead as much as possible. Having a plan can help you feel more in control when things get tough because you know what needs to be done next.
- Take some time to celebrate your successes, no matter how small they may be. This can help you maintain a positive attitude and stay motivated through tough times.
Remember, challenges are temporary and will eventually end. This can help you stay positive and focused on the future of your business.
#8. Consider content marketing
79% of companies use content marketing to generate quality leads. An overwhelming number of companies said that their primary goal in 2020 with investing in content marketing is to generate more quality leads for their businesses.
To make your online business successful in Canada, you should consider jumping on this bandwagon!
Content marketing is a type of marketing that focuses on creating and sharing content to promote a brand or product. It can build relationships with customers and prospects and increase brand awareness and sales.
Here are a few things to remember when applying content marketing to your online business.
- Create interesting and relevant content that will engage your target audience.
- Find reliable ways to promote your content. It can be through social media or other channels.
- Measure the results of your content marketing campaigns so that you can adjust and improve them over time.
To do that, keep an eye on metrics such as website traffic, leads generated, and sales conversions.
Above all, content marketing is all about creating and publishing valuable content that helps you achieve your business goals. So, if you want to take your online business to the next level in Canada, start creating and promoting great content today!
Read also: How to Start a Successful Blog in Canada.
#9. Build a community around your brand
It’s no secret that online businesses need to put in extra effort to create a connection with their audience.
After all, without that personal touch, it’s easy for customers to move on to the next thing simply.
So how do you build a community around your brand? Here are a few tips:
- Be active on social media. This is one of the easiest and most effective ways to connect with your audience. Make sure you’re regularly posting interesting and engaging content, and take the time to respond to comments and questions.
- Host events or webinars. Another great way to connect with your audience is by hosting events or webinars they can attend from home. This allows them to “meet” you and ask questions in real-time.
- Create valuable content. To keep people coming back, you need to provide value. This can be in the form of blog posts, eBooks, videos, etc.—anything that will help your audience learn more about your industry or solve a problem they have.
- Be available for customer support. When someone has an issue with your product or service, ensure they feel their concerns are being heard by providing excellent customer support. This includes responding to questions and complaints, offering refunds or replacements when necessary, and going above and beyond to make things right.
At the end of the day, a community is a group of people who feel connected to you and your brand.
As such, by putting in the effort to create these connections, you’ll build loyalty among your customers and set yourself up for long-term success.
#10. Offer excellent customer service and always go the extra mile for them.
Why do you think they say, ‘customer is the king?’’
When it comes to offering excellent customer service, always go the extra mile for them. This is one of the most important tips for running a successful online business in Canada.
By providing great customer service, you will build a strong relationship with your customers, and they will be more likely to return to you in the future.
Make sure you are always friendly and helpful and take the time to listen to your customers’ needs. If you can resolve their issue quickly and efficiently, they will be very happy with your service.
Always aim to exceed their expectations so that they remember your business positively.
Follow up with your customers after they have made a purchase from you. Make sure they are satisfied with their purchase and offer them help if needed.
By offering great customer service, you’ll build a loyal following of customers who will keep returning to your business repeatedly.
And, as we all know, repeat customers are essential for any business’s success. So make sure you’re doing everything possible to give your customers the best possible experience – it’ll pay off in the long run!
#11. Protect your brand’s online reputation
In today’s digital world, your online reputation is essential to the success of your business.
You never know; you might be one Twitter thread away from going out of business😥!
Yes, that’s scary. Here are a few tips to help you protect and manage your brand’s online reputation:
- Be proactive in managing your online presence. Regularly monitor what is being said about your brand online and address any negative sentiment immediately.
- Ensure your website and social media channels are regularly updated with fresh, relevant content. This will show potential customers that you are an active and engaged business.
- Respond to all customer inquiries and reviews promptly and professionally. Whether it’s a positive or negative review, thank the customer for their feedback and address any concerns they may have.
- Encourage happy customers to leave positive reviews on popular sites like Google, Yelp, etc. Good reviews can help offset any negative sentiment about your brand.
- Use social media to your advantage. Use platforms like Twitter and Facebook to share positive news and updates about your brand.
And there’s this one ignored way to protect your brand online; registering all available domain extensions for your brand (.com, .ca, .net, etc.). By doing this, you can protect your brand from cybersquatters and help ensure that customers can find your website regardless of which extension they use.
#12. Focus on serving, not selling
To be successful in business, it is important to focus on serving others, not just selling them things. This was famously quoted by Zig Ziglar, who said, “you can have everything in life you want if you will just help enough other people get what they want.”
When you focus on helping others, they will be more likely to trust and do business with you. They will also recommend you to others, which can help grow your business even more.
So, how can you focus on serving instead of selling? One way is to offer helpful information and resources for free. This could include blog posts, e-books, or even video tutorials. You can also offer free consultations or trials of your product or service so that potential customers can see the value that you provide.
Another way to serve is to be friendly and helpful simply. If you are always quick to respond to questions, offer advice, or help with problems, people will remember you and appreciate your willingness to go above and beyond.
By focusing on serving others, you will not only build trust and loyalty among your customers but also find that selling becomes much easier.
As the world increasingly moves online, more and more businesses are being forced to adapt in order to stay relevant. This is especially true in Canada, where a recent study showed that nearly 80% of Canadians shop online.
While this shift may seem daunting, there are several steps that business owners can take to ensure that their transition to the online world is a success.
Here are some final thoughts on running a successful online business in Canada:
- Keep your pricing competitive – With so many businesses operating online, customers have become used to seeing a wide range of similar products or services prices. As such, it’s important to ensure that your pricing is competitive to attract and retain customers.
- Make sure your website is user-friendly – In today’s digital age, potential customers will often judge a business by its website. As such, it’s important to ensure that your website is user-friendly and easy to navigate.
- Use social media to your advantage – Social media can be a powerful tool for promoting your business and engaging with customers. Make sure to use platforms like Twitter, Facebook, and Instagram to reach potential customers.
- Offer discounts or coupons – Customers love getting a good deal, so consider offering discounts or coupons on your products or services from time to time. This will help attract new customers while keeping existing ones returning for more.
- Provide excellent customer service – In the online world, customers can quickly leave negative reviews if they’re unhappy with your product or service. As such, it’s important to ensure that you always provide excellent customer service to keep them coming back.
- Ship products quickly and efficiently – Customers hate waiting for their orders, so it’s important to ensure that you ship them out as quickly as possible. Use a reputable shipping company and invest in tracking information so that customers can always see where their order is.
Read also: How To Open Online Business In Canada (9 EASY STEPS).