The income of bloggers in Canada can vary widely based on factors such as experience, niche, and audience size.
According to our research, the average salary for a blogger in Canada is reported to be $18.69 per hour, $60,994 per year, or $82,950 per year, depending on the source.
However, well-established bloggers can make significantly more, with some earning upwards of $30,000 per month or even millions of dollars from their blogs.
The income potential of a blog depends on various revenue streams, such as product sales, affiliate programs, and digital ad sales.
The niche, relationship with the audience, and content formats also play a significant role in determining the income.
Note that the income of bloggers can vary widely, and success in monetizing a blog often requires time, effort, and experimentation with different monetization tactics.
Blogging in Canada has become an increasingly popular way for people to earn income online in recent years.
With the ability to work from anywhere and set your own hours, it’s an appealing prospect for many.
However, the question remains how much money can you actually make blogging in Canada?
This article will provide a realistic overview of potential blogger earnings in Canada.
We’ll look at average income statistics, factors that impact income, strategies for earning more, and examples of successful Canadian bloggers.
Read on to find out if blogging could be a viable source of full or part-time income for you.
Average Canadian Blogger Income
There is limited official data tracking the earnings of bloggers specifically.
However, looking at income stats for self-employed and freelance writers and authors gives us a reasonable proxy.
- According to a survey commissioned by the Alliance of Independent Authors found that the average income of respondents was over $82,600 in 2022, with almost half of the respondents reporting income of more than $20,000
- With almost half of the respondents reporting income of more than $20,000
- Glassdoor reports that the average salary for a Writer in Canada is $54,475 per year
So while a few exceptional bloggers may earn 6-figures, for most there is still lots of room for growth beyond $20k annually at present.
Factors impacting income potential include:
- Niche & blog theme
- Content quality
- Traffic volume
- Monetization strategies
We’ll explore each of these in more detail throughout this article.
Top Blog Monetization Strategies in Canada
There are a variety of options for bloggers to monetize their content and turn their site into a money earner.
The most lucrative bloggers combine multiple streams of income.
One of the most common ways bloggers generate revenue is by placing advertisements on their site.
This includes networks like Google AdSense, direct advertising sales, and affiliate links.
Income potential correlates strongly with website traffic and niche.
On average display ads pay from $0.50 to $2.00 per thousand page views.
|$0.50-$2 per 1000 impressions
|5-15% per sale
|$20-$100+ per CPM
Products & Services
Many bloggers leverage their brand and expertise to develop their own informational products like:
- Online courses
- Paid newsletters
- Premium membership sites
These digital info-products provide higher profit margins since there’s no manufacturing costs involved.
Services like sponsored posts and brand consulting engagements can also be lucrative.
Popular bloggers in Canada can command fees ranging from $250 to $5000+ per sponsored article.
Donations & Crowdfunding
While not quite as scalable, some bloggers are able to generate income through reader donations and crowdfunding campaigns, especially if they have cultivated a highly engaged audience.
Building Blog Traffic in Canada
Growing your blog traffic should be a top priority.
While having quality content is a prerequisite, you need eyeballs seeing your content for any monetization tactics to work.
Here are some proven strategies to get more visitors to your blog in Canada and make money:
- Search Engine Optimization – Target relevant keywords so you rank highly in search engines like Google. This can drive a steady flow of organic traffic to your site over time.
- Social Media Marketing – Promote your content across all major platforms like Facebook, Twitter, Pinterest, LinkedIn etc. Build engaged followers who’ll help amplify your content.
- Email Lists – Email newsletter subscribers tend to be highly targeted and more converted visitors. Offer an incentive like a free downloadable resource to encourage signups.
- Guest Posting – Getting featured as a guest contributor on popular sites in your niche helps expand your audience and links back to your site which helps with SEO.
- Link Building – Having influential websites link back to your content not only helps with rankings but also referral traffic. Participate in blog networks and broken link building to earn backlinks.
- Paid Advertising – Sometimes spending money to boost the visibility of your content and build your initial audience base can give your blog the momentum it needs to grow. Facebook, Instagram and Google Ads are top advertising networks to leverage.
Be sure to track key metrics around traffic sources, audience engagement and conversions so you can double down on what works best.
Profiles of Successful Canadian Bloggers
To inspire you that it is possible to earn a lucrative income from blogging, even starting right here in Canada, here are some examples of bloggers with multiple 6-figure and even 7-figure incomes:
Michelle Schroeder-Gardner – Making Sense of Cents
- Highly successful blog earning more than $1 million per year
- Started right after college in 2011
- Covers personal finance, budgeting, saving money tips
- Leverages display ads, affiliate marketing, digital products
- Sells online courses on how to start a blog under the brand Making Sense of Affiliate Marketing
Kristen Hewitt – Happily Ever Rushed
- Left her full-time teaching career thanks to her blog earnings meeting and exceeding her salary
- Focuses on time-saving tips for busy moms
- Built up multiple streams of income through affiliate marketing, digital products, brand sponsorships
- Has grown blog traffic to over 1 million monthly visitors
Trish Leder – Words of Hope Life Coaching
- Former teacher making a high 6-figure income blogging
- Provides life coaching & business consulting specifically for female entrepreneurs
- Uses her blog as a lead generation tool for her services
- Has multiple eBooks, online courses, group coaching programs
- Also runs ads and promotes affiliate offers
These examples demonstrate that with consistent effort over time, bloggers can build up significant incomes.
Starting locally in Canada first can lead to global reach and impact.
Getting Started Tips for New Bloggers in Canada
Ready to start your own blog? Here is a step-by-step guide:
Choose Your Niche
Start by identifying topics that:
- You have a deep interest or existing expertise in
- You enjoy creating content around
- You can target specific search queries and questions people have
- There is profit potential through digital products, services or affiliates
Aim to be a big fish in a small pond first before expanding more broadly.
Register Your Domain
The right domain name makes your blog appear more professional and trustworthy.
Criteria for a good blog domain includes:
- Short, memorable and easy to spell
- Contains your main keyword(s)
- The .com version should be available
- Easy for users to type from memory
Popular registrars include Bluehost, GoDaddy and Namecheap with domain pricing around $15/year.
Get Web Hosting
- WP Engine
- A2 Hosting
Expect to pay $5 – $15 monthly for decent hosting.
Look for unlimited bandwidth, speed optimization features and one-click WordPress installation.
Set Up Your WordPress Blog
Self-hosted WordPress blogs are the most flexible and scalable option.
Take advantage of the thousands of free themes and plugins available to add functionality fast.
Be sure to have a modern responsive theme and optimize your site for speed by minifying code, compressing images, using a content delivery network etc.
Create Value-Packed Content
Consistently publishing amazing content that provides value, entertainment or utility for your readers should be the #1 priority.
Optimizing content for SEO best practices can help maximize search and visitor potential over time.
Install a plugin like Yoast to check keyword targeting and on-page elements.
Keys to Succeed as a Blogger in Canada
Blogging is an exciting opportunity for Canadians given our high rates of education, widespread internet access and competent English & French writing skills.
To set yourself up for success:
- Commit to blogging consistently for a period of at least 1-2 years – think long term
- Focus on value creation rather than just doing it for money
- Track analytics and metrics closely to determine what resonates with your audience
- Be creative and willing to experiment with new formats like video
- Collaborate frequently, look for guest posting exchanges with those in your niche
- Consider partnerships with complementary brands & services relevant to your audience
- Stay plugged into best practices by reading blogs about blogging
While becoming a lucrative full time blogger does take effort, there are part-time options too.
If you’re an expert or thought leader in your field, creating content along with your main career can be great for elevating your personal brand and driving more opportunities.
Start developing a content bank of article and outline ideas that you can tap into whenever you need to create a new post.
Maintain this alongside an editorial calendar to help keep your pipeline full and publish consistently.