Last updated on December 18th, 2023 at 06:48 am
Email is a critical communication tool for any business. However, free public email services may not provide the security, privacy, and professionalism that entrepreneurs need.
Setting up private business email hosting in Canada has many advantages for startups and small companies aiming to present a credible image.
This article explains everything Canadian entrepreneurs require for evaluating and selecting a reliable hosted email provider that keeps sensitive commercial correspondence safe. It covers:
- Benefits of private emails over free alternatives
- Top email hosting providers to consider
- Key features to compare
- Steps for getting private accounts running smoothly
- Tips for managing inboxes and users
- Transitioning from current email platform
In Canada’s data security landscape, protecting confidential information is paramount when contacting customers and partners.
Public email domains lack encryption and spam filters, while advertising-driven platforms mine user data.
Private email hosting in Canada enables full control over:
- Custom email addresses
- Server locations
- Storage space
- Security protocols
- Access permissions
With a quality local provider, entrepreneurs can focus on business growth rather than email upkeep.
This guide recommends Canadian-based solutions that help project professionalism, instill confidence, and safely exchange mission-critical messages.
|50GB per user
|Phone & Chat
Top Email Hosting Providers in Canada
Several high quality and affordable private email hosting services are based in Canada.
They offer encrypted servers within the country to ensure confidential company information stays protected under local privacy laws. Below compares top providers:
For Overall Value and Features:
- Google Workspace: Offers a comprehensive suite of productivity tools beyond just email, including Docs, Drive, Calendar, and Meet. Strong security features and excellent reliability. Best for businesses of all sizes.
- Microsoft 365: Similar to Google Workspace, it provides email alongside other office applications like Word, Excel, and PowerPoint. Popular for its familiarity and integration with other Microsoft products. Best for businesses already invested in the Microsoft ecosystem.
- Zoho Mail: A highly affordable option with a generous free plan and scalability for larger teams. Offers advanced features like email encryption and file sharing. Best for cost-conscious businesses and startups.
For Security and Reliability:
- Truehost.ca: Renowned for its enterprise-grade infrastructure and commitment to uptime. Offers advanced security features and disaster recovery options. Best for businesses with critical data and high compliance requirements.
- GoDaddy: A popular choice for its user-friendly interface and affordable pricing. Offers robust spam filtering and malware protection. Best for small businesses and individuals who prioritize ease of use.
- Data Privacy and Security: Accuit, Bluehost, and HostPapa are Canadian-based providers that emphasize data security and privacy compliance with Canadian regulations. Best for businesses who prioritize keeping their data within Canada.
What to Look for in an Email Host in Canada
When reviewing private email hosting in Canada for your startup or small business, consider the following key features:
- Located in Canada to fall under Canadian privacy laws
- Physical security and backup power at data centers
- Geographic redundancy (backup servers)
Encryption & Security
- 256-bit AES encryption at a minimum
- Additional protocols like STARTTLS
- Spam monitoring and virus scanning
- Protection against phishing and spoofing
Reliability & Uptime
- 99.9% uptime guarantee from provider SLA
- Load balancing across servers
- Proactive infrastructure monitoring
- Minimum of 50GB per user recommended
- Expansion options for growing needs
- Attachment size limits of 25MB+
- Webmail across all devices
- Mobile apps for popular platforms
- Sync email, contacts, calendars
- 24/7 technical assistance
- Quick response times under 1 hour
- Self-help customer portal with guides
Setting Up Your Private Email Addresses
Once signed up with a private email hosting provider in Canada, you can configure professional addresses for your domain along these steps:
Select intuitive email usernames for staff while keeping available similar versions (e.g. john@, johnsmith@, john.smith@).
Create a strong, unique password for each employee following best practices:
- 12+ characters in length
- Mix of letters, numbers and symbols
- Avoid common words or phrases
Enable Two-Factor Authentication (2FA)
Add an extra layer of security via 2FA apps like Google Authenticator. Requires entering a code from the app when logging into an email account.
Set up webmail to access emails remotely outside the office through secure HTTPS browser connections.
Configure Local Email Clients
Download and install preferred email software (Outlook, Thunderbird etc.) on user devices.
Input hosting provider POP/IMAP server settings to sync:
Incoming mail server: mail.mydomain.ca
Outgoing mail server: smtp.mydomain.ca
Enable SSL/TLS connections for added security while downloading messages.
Import Existing Emails
Work with provider to migrate historical emails from legacy platform like Gmail. Retain correspondence when transitioning addresses.
Following these key steps allows configure hosted email tailored to your business needs while optimizing privacy and security.
Reach out for customer support if any issues.
Managing Your Hosted Email Accounts
Once private email hosting in Canada is set up, effectively organizing and accessing inboxes is vital for usage.
Below are best practices for account administration:
Access Email Remotely
Check webmail frequently when away from the office to stay on top of timely customer inquiries and business-critical messages.
Enable Automatic Replies
Set up out-of-office autoresponders on accounts to acknowledge received emails even when traveling or on leave:
Thank you for your message. I am currently out of the office and will respond upon my return on Date. For immediate assistance, please contact [alternative staff member] or [general inquiries email].
Forward Emails as Needed
If relying on a shared inbox like info@ or sales@, forward relevant messages to appropriate team members for better ticket routing.
Schedule Email Delivery
For mass outreach campaigns, composing emails in advance and scheduling delivery avoids overwhelming servers.
Archive Old Messages
Clean up bulging inboxes by archiving old threads monthly to labeled folders for compliance records but declutter accessibility.
Give Customized Access
Provide contractors or external partners access only to certain inbox folders on a temporary basis using provider permissions.
Sync Devices & Calendars
In addition to hosting email, connect devices to synchronize contacts, calendars and tasks for convenience and productivity:
|Apple Mail, Calendar, Reminders
|Gmail, Contacts, Calendar
Migrating Existing Emails to New Host
When transitioning email platforms, porting over years of correspondence securely without disruption is vital:
Understand the Process
Migrations work by email hosting providers directly and automatically transferring email, folders, calendars etc. on legacy accounts via protocols into the new system.
Audit Current Email Storage
Quantify how many mailboxes need moving, their sizes, folder structures and specific access settings to convey to support reps assisting port over.
Schedule a Cutover Date
Pick a transition date and time where email will be frozen for several hours without user access during the backend migration process to prevent duplication glitches.
Update DNS Records
Once migration completes, update MX records on domain registrar to point mail to new hosting provider’s servers to go live redirecting emails.
Test thoroughly by composing, receiving and locating historic archived messages on new platform before informing correspondents. Monitor over the first weeks post-cutover.
Selecting specialized private email hosting in Canada tailored to startups enables essential privacy and security for daily entrepreneurial communications.
Follow the guide above on comparing top local providers based on encryption protocols, storage allotments, uptime reliability and responsive technical assistance.
Setting up branded custom addresses via chosen provider webmail, configuring on all staff devices, and eventually transitioning legacy emails protects past and future correspondence.
With sound email foundations, Canadian businesses can progress operations with stakeholder confidence in their professionalism and data governance. Reach out with any questions on the ideal hosted email platform for your needs.